Monday, January 28, 2008

Kindness

We must all be kind to others, wouldn't you say?
But is it possible to be kind to people who we believe are superior to us?
Kindness is a condescension. I do not think I'd cherish someone being kind to me. If kindness is the effect and pity, the cause, I'd rather do without it.
I am in a train. There is a man sitting right across. He has only one leg. I avoid looking at him. The fact that all my limbs are intact, makes me uncomfortable. Other people are nicer. They make forced conversation with him so that he doesn't feel left out. They spring up to do things for him, which he can easily manage by himself (he could crack a peanut alright).
A young man comes along. Medium build, average looks. Joins in the conversation. Offers the one-legged man a cigarette. Teases him about his loud clothes. Admires his watch. Dozes off after a while.
I feel a degree of respect for this young man, which unknowns rarely evoke. Nothing great to look at; he might be a rogue, who knows; or even a bore. But he could look at the one-legged man, talk to him as an equal.
Isn't his the right perspective? Wouldn't the poor guy (poor guy !!! I still haven't learnt anything) appreciate it more to be treated like everyone else, joked with, cared for but not oppressed with 'kindness'?
If it were up to me, I'd revise and edit the Value Education books. One chapter less - Kindness.

4 comments:

Ravi D said...

Kindness is interpreted differently by different people. For some being polite and sympathetic towards the changed person is KINDNESS and for some it isn't.

I agree on your observation, but rather not completely. Sometimes KINDNESS is and should be momentary and is demanded by the situation. Be it social or ethical call.

I have failed to change my behaviour towards many such or normal people as per situational demand :| But have watched many such characters and they do it quite well. Hypocrites is too harsh to use here, we can just call them pretenders :/

I would rather say... BE YOURSELF :)

So you have keen observation??? :O

Winnie the poohi said...

I got to agree with ravi here.. kindness has many interpretations!

I find it phoney to be ashamed of ur good luck!

y shud u apologize tht u have all the limbs??

y feel sorry that he doesnt??

yeor said...

trains compartments had this lovely thing about them , they make ppl observe stuffs with they just give a pass in daily lives .


talking of perspective :d , does it matters ?
every one is busy finding sucess , and in a sence, trying one-self to fit him/herself in this jittery world by getting his/her perspective matched with other's .

prashu said...

👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻