Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Pieces Of My Day

That capricious piece of green cloth
Teasingly plays on my shoulders
Threatens to fly off
To tease a stranger
To caress another face in the crowd
Or the back of a chair
Refuses to let me in peace
In its carelessness, commands me to be careful.

That piece of white paper
Borrowed in jest from a trouser pocket
Now lays on ashes of friendly cigarettes
Kissed by black ink
As my mind talks to itself,
Around me loved voices
And faces framed in smoke
The green darkness
Of a familiar old cloak, my favourite place.

That snatch of banter
A few lines of an unfamiliar song,
Face, a combination of so many emotions
Expressions, contradicting the everyday words they utter
Eyes, so earnest, vulnerable, wanting
Mocking the camouflage of everyday complacence
So open in this moment,
I catch a stranger's eye, he won't hold my stare

These pieces, pieces of my day
So incomplete,
Leave a sweet void in my consciousness
A void that awaits the next day
And it's pieces.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What does green darkness signify?

Rashmi said...

Foliage. Light through leaves.